Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday: DIY Brown Gravy Packet


NEW AND IMPROVED!

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat to easiness! Why waste money on packet brown gravies when you can make one up in seconds and it costs just a few cents?! Answer: You didn't know you could! Well, neither did I and, judging by the numerous packets of brown gravy in my cupboards, I could stand to save some money with DIY! Then, once you're done with your brown gravy packet, pour it on top of
PIMP: Perfectly Incredible Mashed Potatoes, also known as the best mashed potatoes you will ever eat in your life.

Ingredients
1/4 cup flour
1 T beef bouillon granules
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
Dash of dried parsley

This makes 2 cups of brown gravy mix. Put the dry mix into a plastic baggie for future use.

To Prepare:
Mix the dry gravy mix with 2 cups of cold water in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth. Heat at medium until the sauce thickens. Then.. nothing! You're done! Serve over potatoes, rice, or whatever floats your boat.




(To make a large amount for storage)

2 cups flour
1/2 cup beef bouillon granules
3 T onion powder
3 T cup garlic powder
2 tsp black pepper
1 T dried parsley

Mix it all together; when you want to make 2 cups of gravy, portion out about 3/8 up a cup or 6 tablespoons. When you want to make 1 cup of gravy, simply portion out about 3 tablespoons of the dry mix.

26 comments:

  1. I just pinned this. Poking around the blog, it's pretty sweet. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the Kraut, that is great news to hear! :) You are so kind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just pinned this. thanks alot. so many times
    I am without a packet, now it doesn't matter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera, I am glad to hear this helped you out! Made my day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pinning this too ... my family thinks that "gravy" is a must. Sometimes I think my daughter would eat a bumper if it was covered in gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been looking for a recipe for brown gravy mix. I have a recipe for crockpot beef tips and gravy that uses a mix, but I try to avoid processed foods and anything with MSG. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about chicken gravy? Chicken bouillon with the same spices? I've seen white pepper...should that be used, and does it tastes the same as black? I thought it seemed "hotter", but I'm no expert. Thanks for your great recipe. Packaged gravy has almost tripled in price!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checking on the measurements. When making larger batches, you multiplied the flour and pepper by 8 but the other things (beef granules, onion powder, and garlic powder) by 4. Is that right? I would like to make a big jar of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking on my math! It should be 1/2, not 1/4- I'll change it right away. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. I just mixed up a batch because the lady downstairs asked for a recipe. We'll see how it goes when she makes dinner tonight. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What does the T stand for example: 1T onion powder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is the instructions for making the actual gravy for 1/3 cup of dry mix or for 2 cups of dry mix? In your bulk recipe, you say to divide the mix into 1/3 cup portions, but in the single packet recipe, you say it makes 2 cups of mix. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; the 1/3 cup portion will make 2 cups as well.

      Delete
  12. Should I use 1/3 cup of mix for 1 cup of gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! I made this brown gravy mix for some cabbage rolls the other day and loved the recipe and the taste! Thanks for posting it! I blogged about it and linked your recipe on my blog. You can check it out at www.reclaimrenewremodel.blogspot.com. Feel free to let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What measurement of this recipe equals 1 packet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, thank you for this recipe, I love it! There is just one problem, where I live we don't have bouillon granules. Could I use cubes instead? If so, should I use the same amount as the granules?

    ReplyDelete
  16. May I say bless you for not burying this short recipe under ten pages of background story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I feel exactly. I get so tired of websites like that! Scroll through 49 photos for a simple recipe?! Drives me crazy!

      Delete
  17. what measurements equals one packet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first list of ingredients equals one packet or two cups of gravy.

      Delete
  18. Has anyone tried this with gluten free flour? I have to make my Thanksgiving meal gluten free and I'm new at that. Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of gluten free flour, try corn starch. Just make sure when you mix it up to use COLD water and blend it until smooth before you add heat (you can also add turkey drippings to this to make it more savory!)

      Delete